July 2017 Vestry Metting Notes
Christ the King Anglican Church
September 15, 2016
Members Present: Rev. Don Curran, Scott Cross, Sr. Warden, Adam Smith, Mary White, Susan Porter, Mitch Downs, Ben Whitehouse, Speedy Raney, Brenda Sharpe, Tom Carson, Steve Forrest, Bob Prater. Also present: Rev. Bo Ubbens, John Christman, Treasurer. Absent: Bethany McKee Alexander, Headmaster, Grace School, Fred Hill.
The meeting began at 6:00 with opening prayer by Father Don Curran.
Devotional: Tom Carson presented a devotional on Christian hedonism…as Christians, God wants us to be happy.
School Update: Mitch Downs for Bethany McKee Alexander
· The Fun Run was a big success. The kids had fun and it brought in approximately $20,000.
· The school’s building committee met with the architect to discuss preliminary drawings. They hope to have more information available by Taste of Grace in October.
Vestry Minutes: Steve Forrest made a motion that the September minutes be approved, Mitch Downs seconded. The September minutes were approved as written.
Treasurer’s Report: John Christman, Treasurer
· All is going well. For details see report.
Rector’s Report: Fr. Don Curran
· CTKA has a Newcomers Class starting up soon.
· Wednesday night classes are awesome.
· We will be discussing “Who Moved my Pulpit” at the Vestry Retreat in November.
· E.L. Foster is in Lifecare.
Senior Warden Report: Scott Cross
· Will defer to Survey discussion.
· Every Member Campaign Survey Review:
o Scott began by reviewing who was involved in the survey and who made up the focus groups.
o Many improvements have been implemented by the staff. Some of these improvements are still in place, some are not.
o 41% of our members responded to the survey. Of the 41%, 90% were church regulars.
o Strengths and Opportunities for improvement were discussed. Strengths: Congregation is like family, warm, welcoming, spirit filled. Preaching is Bible based, skillfully preached. Opportunities for Improvement: Length of service: some feel there are too many announcements and the service takes too long. We have been working to streamline the services by how we begin communion. Also the announcements are being printed in the bulletin. Sunday School/Children’s Church: it was suggested that the kids be divided by younger/older. Debi, Matthew and Helen are meeting to come up with ideas. Presently, there is not enough interest in Sunday School Program. Youth Group needs to be more visible: Mathew is working on this. Communication: the CTKA website has been updated and made more user friendly. We are sending out emails and texts with important information when pertinent. We are also working on ways to recognize new members of the congregation as well as setting up a Bible Study for working moms.
The Vestry will continue to work hard to take advantage of these opportunities and your suggestions are always welcome,
· Fr. Don shared the Capital Campaign letter with us. The Vestry members signed the letter and it will be sent out shortly.
· October 2nd Parish Family Meeting-Hail and Farewell to Scott and Joel.
Building Committee Update:
· Fr. Don discussed the bids on our new Church building. Currently we need approximately $700,000 in contributions and pledges to get started on the building. Fr. Don is meeting with a number of potential contributors outside of our congregation. We are also expecting more contributions from the Grace School parent.
Commission Report: Finance Commission-Ben Whitehouse
The Finance Committee has gone through many challenges and many changes, but through it all, God is in control. We have a great group of knowledgeable people who faithfully serve on this committee. The committee is now led by John Christman, who has been a huge blessing to our group and includes the wisdom of Carol Trow, Gail Cross, Glen Baker, Bob Prater, Leslie Gilbert, Fr. Don and Fr. Bo.
We are sincerely grateful for the years of service that Gail Tuck provided to our church, and we are incredibly optimistic for our future. We will continue to be faithful stewards of all that God has blessed us with.
Scott Cross adjourned the Vestry meeting at 8:10pm. This was followed by Holy Eucharist. The next Vestry meeting is October 20th at 6:00pm.
**Please note that the Vestry Meeting has been moved to October 27th @6:00pm due to a scheduling conflict.**
MAILING ADDRESS: 3850 W. Anthony Road, Ocala Florida 34475 WORSHIP: Living Waters 3801 N. US Highway 441, Ocala, Florida 34475 TEL: 352-351-9727 FAX: 352-351-9760